Hello! launches two apps on Pugpig Bolt in weeks
The Hello! brand launched two apps on Pugpig Bolt in weeks – Hello! Magazine and Hello! Fashion. Read more about our work with this leading magazine brand.
13th July 2023
The Hello! brand has launched two apps on Pugpig Bolt – Hello! Magazine and Hello! Fashion. As a brand new customer for Pugpig, our team was super excited to be working on both app builds.
Hello! Magazine is the go-to destination for all things celebrity and royals while Hello! Fashion is a monthly publication focusing on the latest fashion trends and news.
Hello! approached Pugpig for a mobile app for each title that could house the digital editions of each magazine while surfacing up-to-the-minute news, stories and multimedia all in one place.
Both apps were almost completely out-of-the-box – custom work was minimal, focusing on podcast timelines and varying subscription levels – meaning we could get the project underway quickly. We worked closely with the Hello! team on styling preferences, fonts and colours, kicking off the project to build and release both apps in a matter of weeks.
The scope of work
Here’s a breakdown of what the scope of work involved:
- PDF digital editions: Both apps feature digital editions and special editions in PDF formats for crisp rendering and smooth pan and zoom functionality. These are uploaded into an SFTP and automatically picked up and processed into the app.
- Live content feeds: Both apps surface the latest stories via a live news feed, which is completely automated from Hello!’s own content feeds. Within the news feed, the Hello! Magazine app also has a category-based nav bar for easy access to royalty, lifestyle, or celebrity news.
- Podcasts: Hello! Magazine has built a home for their podcasts on mobile, with a nav bar and custom styling for each podcast series.
- Video: Hello! Fashion has a ‘watch’ section packed full of the latest fashion and beauty videos. The layout is similar to the newsfeed timeline.
- Native app features: Both apps have all the native app features you’d expect, such as text resize, saved articles, dark mode.
- AuthX integration: Both apps make use of Pugpig’s AuthX integration, enabling them to control access to certain content within the app according to a member’s subscription level.
Dom Easter, Customer Director at Pugpig says:
“We’ve really enjoyed working with the team at Hello! on these two fantastic apps. This is only the beginning of our partnership with them and we’re already looking forward to the next phase of work. It was also great to work with Glide on building the content feeds which feed into the apps, and we’ll continue our relationship with them to build a Glide plugin for future Pugpig customers too.”
The two apps are available in both app stores – take a look and let us know what you think.
Hello! Magazine on the App Store and Google Play Store.
Hello! Fashion on the App Store and Google Play Store.
Latest in Launches
The Scotsman app relaunches on Bolt with lots of cool custom work
Aviation Week Network’s ShowNews app is the first to leverage Pugpig Bolt’s brand new ad capabilities